Thursday 23 August 2012

The Next Chapter

So its 1979 I've packed my bags and moved to London.Leaving Worthing was easy I didnt want to live in a small sleepy seaside town where apparently people moved to retire/die and forget why they went there! However leaving my dad was difficult but I knew he was being well looked after as a lovely lady called Ann had moved in with us not long after we had moved.
Right fast forward to 2005 I'm happy working as an administrator in a busy bingo club. Dad had phoned to tell me hospital had recommended that he would be better off in a wheelchair as using crutches was putting a strain on his heart. I had a funny feeling about this.
A few months later my stepmum,dad had remarried a few years ago after living alone for sometime after Ann had passed away,phoned to say dad had been admitted to hospital. The next day I headed off to Worthing to visit him. To say I was shocked when I saw him would be an understatement. Two days later another phone call to tell me dad had lapsed into a coma. I headed back the next day and stayed with him only leaving the hosp to eat, bath or just have a walk on the sea front, sleeping in a chair by his side. I was holding his hand as he took his last breathes. It felt like my world had stopped. My dad was gone.
After the funeral and a short break on Portland where dad had been born I returned to work. I wasnt worried when I started to lose weight and feel tired  Losing dad,stress at work what else could it be. However I was concerned about a nagging pain in my abdomen and in Nov went to see my GP, he said he could feel 'a blockage' and referred me to the coli-rectal team at Kings.
I never made it to the appointment! In feb 2006 I started to feel really unwell and went sick from work. I dont remember much about the few days I was at home in bed except feeling really sick and not being able to eat. On sunday Feb 19th,the day before my coli-rectal appointment,my daughter phoned an ambulance.I was so weak and vomitting a thick black goo!  I think she probably saved my life!
The next few days are a blur of tests, from a CT scan I was told it was possibly my appendix,another doctor came and said although everything in that area looked swollen and distended it wasnt my appendix. On wednesday 22nd I had a colonoscopy in the morning and that evening was taken to theatre for investigatory surgery.Thats when they found the tumour in the right side of my bowel, a T3 tumour, yes a tumour.
So there I was watching this poor woman lying in a hospital bed,tubes and wires attached to her. She looked like she was in so much pain. That afternoon her family came to visit and it finally dawned on me that it was me lying there. I wont dwell on the time spent recovering.
 At my post op check up I was told it had been a malignant tumour, hang on I had cancer no wait it was gone they had taken it away. What the nurse said next scared me more . . chemotherapy for 6 months.I went home and sobbed.
In April I started 5FU, a quick injection every day for 5 days then 3 weeks off. Then came the side effects mouth ulcers, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach cramps. I was admitted to hospital 3 times for dehydration. Then it was September and it was finished. With money dad had left me I bought a  new car to celebrate.Then set about getting myself fit enough to go back to work . . . . but would I make it back to work???


No comments:

Post a Comment